Thursday, July 10, 2008

The American (Southern) Language...

I'm up working in DC this week, and one of the Engineers commented that he got an email from a rep in Charleston, SC....which included the word "y'all".....he couldn't believe the guy used the word in a business email.

I had to educate him that in the South...this is a perfectly acceptable term...when he questioned me, I offered the following as proof....

  • When using Word or Outlook, if you spell y'all correctly....it will pass spell-check
  • According to the Meriam Webster Website, this is a valid word, defined as a deviation on the term "you all" http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/y
  • And on the same website, they offer a .wav file so you know how to properly pronounce the word.

So, in the end, if y'all don't like our words.....yuz guyz can kiss my butt!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home